Dreamy Dullstroom… where peaceful dams glitter on the Highveld plateau, time is almost irrelevant, and the area showcases some of South Africa’s best wildlife.
Dullstroom is one of the country’s natural gems. This is largely thanks to its beauty, but also because there is so much to see and do while you’re visiting this little Mpumalanga town.
For an authentic farm stay, head to this special retreat just outside the centre of Dullstroom.
There are two well-stocked dams for fly-fishermen that want to spend their days catching trout, as well as free-roaming game that call this home. The units are elegant and make the best use of light, space and glass so that the exquisite outdoors is brought in. They’re great for families because the various units sleep 2, 4, 6 or 8 guests.
Here, visitors can choose between stone cottages that sleep 6 to 8 guests or the sleeper lodge for 10, depending on how big your family is.
It’s fantastic for children who need a taste of the outdoors. Go fly-fishing in the farm’s dams, try your hand at clay pigeon shooting, or head to the waterfalls for some fantastic swimming and adventure for young and old alike.
Each of the 2 units on this golf retreat sleeps 6 and has a cosy fireplace, braai facilities, and incredible views of Dullstroom.
They are cool and contemporary, and they make the most of their idyllic position by using loads of glass – get ready for some stunning views! If your group or family is particularly big, you can book both units.
Stay in these stone cottages for a taste of country life, but with extra spoils! Each cottage has an outdoor braai area and an indoor fireplace.
In addition, the farm has a boma, braai area and splash pool for the use of all the guests. The farm’s 2 dams are well stocked with trout and the whole area is scribbled with hiking and cycling trails. This spot is also pet-friendly for well-behaved fur friends.
FOR A LUX STAY
This luxury 5-star stone house is perched on a river weir and surrounded by mountains. It sleeps 10 and has a great living area, where the best times can be shared with your family or friends. When you’re not sitting around the braai area outside, you can head inside and curl up in front of the fireplace or relax on the patio and take in the amazing setting.
There are 14 dams on the estate for avid fly-fishermen. Guests can also explore the trails, go on game viewing drives, or simply sit back and watch the resident buck and zebra as they pass by.
This exclusive, upmarket house is in a secure estate just outside Dullstroom and has all the home comforts and then some.
Outside, there is a spacious, double-volume patio with a braai area. This outdoor entertainment space opens onto the garden on one side and the estate on another. Enjoying the serenity and natural beauty while surrounded by luxury makes for an idyllic holiday.
Special: Stay 3 weekday nights for the price of 2 until 31 October 2021.
These historical cottages are nestled right in the prettiness that defines Dullstroom.
There are 3 picturesque ponds, views of the mountains, and a charming garden – this is a real escape. Each unit has an open indoor fireplace and a spacious veranda. They are quiet and serene, with all the comforts of home. Go fly-fishing for trout in the ponds, walk the nearby trails, or watch the birds that love being in this garden.
Special: Stay 6 nights for the price of 5 until 31 December 2021.
Endless views of the lush Tonteldoos Valley from these rustic cottages is hard to beat.
Some cabins sleep 2, some sleep 4, and one of them sleeps 10 – perfect for couples and families. Each cabin has a fireplace for chilly winter evenings. Head to the dam or pack a picnic and enjoy it under the clear blue skies of Africa.
Special: Stay 3 weekday nights for the price of 2 until 31 December 2021.
This 4-star getaway is pet-friendly and perfectly situated in the heart of the Dullstroom countryside.
Each cottage has an indoor fireplace and a spacious veranda from where some magnificent views can be savoured. Unwind in the private open-air bush bath, ride on the back of an elephant, or go hike through the pretty surroundings.
Whether you just want to grab a quick bite, get your family around the table, or have a romantic dinner for 2, there are a few eating options available in and around Dullstroom.
- Duck & Trout – from mild lamb curry with sambals to fresh sushi, a pizza, or succulent ribs; this vibey spot is great. There are indoor and outdoor dining areas, and you might even be able to enjoy some live music when you visit.
- Mrs Simpson’s Restaurant – this cosy spot has won awards for its food and service, so it’s well worth a try. Sample the famous trout fillet or the local lamb shank for a comforting meal that’s packed with flavour.
- The Coachman Restaurant – an especially popular choice amongst locals and visitors alike, The Coachman’s comprehensive menu includes innovative dishes and timeless classics – something for everyone.
- Dullstroom Cultour Wine Club – pair some excellent South African wines with carefully crafted foods that are designed to bring out the best of both elements.
- Mayfly Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge – savour an elegant dinner in front of the fire at this special venue. House specialities include oven-baked trout, beef fillet with a variety of innovative toppings, and a flame-grilled baby chicken.
- Harrie’s Pancakes – sweet or savoury, this range of fluffy, light pancakes is just irresistible. For something different, try the Thai-style chicken pancake with sweet chilli marmalade or the pancake filled with peppermint crisp crumble and topped with caramel sauce.
Dullstroom has a serenity about it that feeds the soul and rejuvenates the body. It’s a great destination for anyone that just wants to relax. But, this doesn’t mean a shortage of things to do. During your time in this little town, add these activities and attractions to your itinerary:
- Dullstroom Bird of Prey and Rehab Centre
- Horse riding at the Dullstroom Riding Centre
- Fly fishing
- Anvil Brewhouse to taste some exceptional beer that is brewed onsite
- Hiking or mountain biking on the many trails in the area to make the most of these gorgeous landscapes
- A few holes on one of the local golf estates
STAY IN DULLSTROOM
Experience the magic of Dullstroom! Book and pay for your Dullstroom accommodation in this charming town via SA-Venues.com. Instant bookings are enabled to make this process even quicker and easier.