Give a Soccer Ball …
Now before you skim right past this, we’re not asking for a lot … just a soccer ball or two for the youngsters in the Transkei. That’s a R45 donation to put a smile onto the face of a young soccer-wannabe …
We’ve been following Ruan’s epic journey across South Africa and this week he’s in the Transkei on the Wild Coast of the Eastern Cape. Yesterday he came across a group of boys playing soccer in the village of Lusikisiki and started talking with one of the boys who told him about his dreams of being a soccer player. These kids don’t have real balls to play with, so … they make their own soccer balls from melted plastic. These “balls” are obviously not really round, you can’t fill them with air or even really kick them because they are filled with plastic. Nonetheless, they play enthusiastically with these balls and continue to dream … dreams of growing up to play the beautiful game for their beautiful Country!
There are many, many villages in the Transkei like this, filled with lots of soccer-hungry youngsters. Help us make these boys dreams come true with a small donation. You can donate as little or as much as you like. An inexpensive soccer ball costs about R45 – R75, but if you’d like to donate just R5 please do so. We’d like to supply each village with at least 2 soccer balls, but the more the merrier … think about your son / nephew / god-child / grandson … how many soccer balls does he have?
To get this started SA-Venues.com has donated R1500 (approximately 30 soccer balls). We hope you’ll help these kids too. Please note all donations will go towards buying soccer balls only (no delivery fees, no hidden charges … just soccer balls).
Please email Ruan at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell him if you’re willing to make a small donation – Ruan will send you banking details and give you more information on how these balls are being delivered. Please help make these boy’s dreams come true whilst they are still boys …
You are reading Explore South Africa Cycle Tour Series Read more from this series of articles.
- Collecting people's stories – Cycling 9000km in 70 days
- Scraps of Hope - Pre cycle-tour Free State visit
- Where is Ruan? Join us as we follow him on his "Explore SA" cycle tour
- A human wallflower - from the road, by Ruan Smit
- She’s no Barberton Daisy ...
- Rashid had R30 - Stories from Explore SA Cycle Tour
- Not another high tea - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Give a Soccer Ball ...
- A Gonubie affair - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Kenton on Sea inspires - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Say Cheese! - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Adin ‘The no money man’ - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- There is a city… stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- An Elands Bay Road trip - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Where love grows with flowers - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- A River of Life - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- And Douglas smiles - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Digging for Dreams in Kimberley - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Seeking the sun - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Pitching a tent - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Parys with a ‘Y’? - stories from the road by Ruan
- A different forest - stories from the road by Ruan
- For the love - Ruan makes it home