Despite the fact that Mossel Bay is pretty perfectly positioned and offers the trifecta of gorgeous beaches, convenient locale and plenty of accommodation; it actually remains fairly quiet for most of the year.
This is great news, if a little surprising.
Mossel Bay has grown a lot but has managed to retain the laid-back vibe so typical of the seaside villages of yesteryear. This, coupled with the fact that it is along the Garden Route, where there is just so much to see and do, make it an idyllic getaway for the whole family. The Garden Route is also known for its stunning climate. So, even if you don’t get it right to visit Mossel Bay in the height of summer, you’re still likely to have an awesome experience.
We’ve put together some of our favourite places to stay overnight, eat and have the time of your life in Mossel Bay.
Whether you’re after lashings of luxury or lashings of “please be kind to my bank balance”, we’ve got a spot for you.
A Little on the Splurge Side
I don’t want to be dramatic or anything, but you’ll literally die when you see the views from just about every angle of this estate. Literally die. These holiday villas are perched on the mountains above the Indian Ocean and overlook the jade colours of the golf course, which seem to run right into the blue of the sea. One of the villas sleeps four and the other sleeps six. They have a swimming pool, private built-in braai, and access to the 18-hole championship golf course.
This 5-star guest house has the perfect address – right on the water’s edge of Bayview Beach. It is flanked by the ocean and the mountains, and boasts really stunning views of each. Glass has been used extensively throughout the house to make the most of these vistas. Enjoy sundowners on the outdoor deck with the sound of the waves and the smell of the ocean as the ideal complement to a romantic meal.
This is a massive hotel with 102 units. But, it’s real pièce de résistance is that it is right on the beachfront. All rooms have an en-suite bathroom, a private balcony, and gorgeous views of the Indian Ocean. There are units for groups of between four and six guests too – perfect for the family. The absolute highlight for little ones has to be the water park that’s part of the hotel’s on-site facilities.
Kinder to Your Budget
This homely self-catering flat in the heart of Mossel Bay is ideal for up to four guests in two bedrooms and has really gorgeous views of the sea and mountains. From the swimming pool and built-in braai area, these views are even more magnificent.
With a distinctive touch of history, this home has the unique appeal that comes from the charm of yesteryear. Each of the six suites has its own look and feel and guests can enjoy free Wi-Fi and a communal swimming pool and barbecue area. The porch has ocean views and the beach is only a few minutes’ walk away.
These two units, just 30 metres from the shore, are excellent for visitors needing a real beach holiday. One of the cottages is for two and has its own swimming pool, fully-equipped kitchen, and satellite TV. The other sleeps six (three bedrooms) and has all of the amenities as well as a private pool. The ocean views for both suites don’t hurt….
Situated in the opulent Pinnacle Point Estate, this spot is particularly lovely for golf enthusiasts. What’s more, it’s right on the doorstep of a private beach. Bliss. There are three separate suites, each with an en-suite bathroom. Two of the rooms have a fridge, microwave and kettle too. Get ready for some awesome sea views.
Just a five-minute walk from the Blue Flag beach of Santos, Aquamarine offers five four-star suites, of which three have impressive sea views. Dine next to the inviting swimming pool, or in the dining room (if you won’t be too distracted by the Outeniqua Mountains and Indian Ocean in the distance).
Being a bustling town, Mossel Bay has loads of restaurants, take-away joints, cafés and delis.
- Big Blu Tapas Bar – sample the delicious variety of tapas, meet with friends and drink in the views. From red meat and fresh seafood to fresh salads and decadent desserts, the menu has no shortage of options.
- Admiral’s Buffet Restaurant – this is the place to come for hungry families and visitors wanting to sample lots of different flavours and dishes.
- Bahia Dos Vaqueiros – enjoy some South African delicacies with a culinary twist, and a very impressive wine list.
- The Kingfisher Seafood Restaurant – mussels, prawns, calamari, fish, crab and even red meat are all the orders of the day at this seaside restaurant.
- Coffee @ Work – enjoy a hot brew at this coffee café, right in the CBD of Mossel Bay.
Being a destination that is flanked by the sea and the mountains gives Mossel Bay a real advantage when it comes to offering a variety of attractions and activities. Here are some of our musts for your Mossel Bay itineraries:
- The Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex – dive into the rich history of Mossel Bay at this incredible museum – complete with a life-size replica of one of the caravels that were used by Portuguese explorers arriving in South Africa for the first time.
- Botlierskop Game Reserve – a stunning reserve with world-class safaris, Botlierskop is home to more than 1800 animals; including lions, rhinos and giraffes. It’s only half an hour from Mossel Bay.
- Mossel Bay Golf Club and Pinnacle Point Golf Club – these courses offer the perfect greens and fairways, whether you’re a casual putter or a real pro.
- Post Office Tree Shoe – a quirky little attraction that tells a fascinating tale.
- Whale watching – whales come past Mossel Bay and the rest of the Garden Route every year. Watch as humpbacks, Minke’s and southern rights lobtail, breach and spyhop.
- Shark cage diving – the little island just off Mossel Bay is a hotspot for great whites. Get up-close-and-personal to these beautiful predators.
- Pinnacle Point Caves – the views are exquisite and the cave art impressive.
PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH SA-VENUES.COM
We have these and more accommodation venues, restaurants, activities and attractions listed for Mossel Bay. All of these guest houses, hotels and lodges are available on an instant booking system, and your payments are processed safely and efficiently.