Cape of Good Hope Trail (overnight hiking trail)
For a weekend with a difference why not do an overnight trail? If you are a Capetonian you needn’t even drive far from home, the trails are literally on your doorstep!
The Cape of Good Hope Trail is a 34km circular route that starts and ends at the entrance gate to the Cape of Good Hope. Secure overnight parking is available here so your car will be safe while you enjoy a two day hike with an overnight stay at one of the Rooikrans cottages. The two day hike starts at the Main Gate at the Good Hope entrance to Table Mountain National Park and then meanders down to Smitswinkel Bay and on up to Kanonkop, then down towards the Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre …
Stop off at the Visitor Centre as there is to recharge and refill your water bottles etc. Then continue on to Rooikranse. The first day of hiking is about 13 km and there are spectacular views – the contrast between the awe-inspiring scenery and the mighty ocean and cliffs is dramatic – and time spent photographing the scenery will keep the memories alive for years to come.
After overnighting in one of the overnight huts, you set off again the following day on about a 20 km hike that follows the Atlantic coastline to Pegram’s point, Platboom, Hoek van Bobejaan and then turns inland to Sirkelsvlei and ends again at the Main Gate. The hike passes through Fynbos trails, over scenic, deserted beaches.
Comfortable accommodation is offered in three cottages, each of which sleep six. The cottages are equipped with cutlery and crockery, but you will need to bring your own bedding. The cottages have showers and are also solar powered so please use electricity wisely. All cottages also have braai areas and wood purchased at the gate will be delivered to your accommodation by park staff.
Please be aware that baboons are found in the area so caution should be taken. (you need to close cottages securely and do not leave food and belongings lying around).
The rates for the Cape of Good Hope Trail are R150 per person during the summer months (1 September to 30 April), and R120 during winter (20 May to 31 August). These rates cover both the daily conservation fee and accommodation and should be paid on arrival at the main gate.
The gates to the park open at 6am during summer and 7am during winter and entry will not be permitted before this time. In order to finish the trail during daylight hours, you are requested to start the hike before 9am and depart from your overnight accommodation at 9am on day two of your hike.
Bookings can be made through the Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre on 021 780 9204 from Monday to Thursday (9am to 4pm) and on Fridays between 9am and 3pm.
Website link to this hiking trail is www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/tourism/overnight_hikes.php.
If you don’t have enough time to spend two days hiking, there are plenty of shorter trails – see our provious article on Table Mountain Hiking Trails for a few ideas.
You are reading Popular Hiking Trails and Walks in South Africa Series Read more from this series of articles.
- Hiking the Otter Trail
- Walking above Simons Town
- The Whale Trail - the five-day Whale Hiking trail
- Table Mountain Hikes
- The Walk to Elephants Eye Cave
- Cape of Good Hope Trail (overnight hiking trail)
- Hike the Hoerikwaggo Trail
- Waterworks Museum Hike, Cape Town
- Valley of the Gods Hiking Trail
- Crouching Lion, Hidden Mountain
- Game for a Walk? Game Viewing Walk
- Easy Walks Cape Town: A couple of the easiest and most beautiful walks in Cape Town
- Take a hike ... in Gauteng!
- Orange Kloof Forest Trail
- Tranquillity Cracks
- Constantia Walks - Discovering the Constantia green belt – city walks with a difference
- Rock-hopping in Bainskloof
- The Postberg Flower Trail
- Forget about its name - there’s nothing cute or cuddly about the Otter Trail
- Table Mountain Pipe Track
- Skeleton Gorge hiking trail
- The Hunter Gatherer Hiking Trail
- Hout Bay and beyond ... the Oude Skip hike
- Kologha Forest Trails, Eastern Cape
- The St Lucia Wilderness Trail
- Hiking in Hogsback
- The Swartberg Hiking Trail
- The Strandloper Trail in South Africa's Eastern Cape
- The Swellendam Hiking Trail - a 6-day hike in the Langeberg mountains
- Suicide Gorge – the ultimate kloofing experience
- Take a walk on “The Wild Side of the Drakensberg” - Wartrail Skywalk
- Yellowwood trail Kirstenbosch
- Foot safaris in Kruger National Park
- Walking on clouds: Hiking in the Drakensberg
- A walk at Silvermine - so much more than a breath of fresh air
- Walk above St James - a perfect child-friendly Cape Town hike via the Old Mule Path
- Botterboom Hiking Trail
- Follow the yellow brick road – the yellow route at Helderberg Nature Reserve
- Strolling the pipe track
- Scaling Steenberg Peak - a 2.5 hour circular route at Silvermine
- Kgalagadi - two day wilderness trail that will leave you changed
- Rambling in Robberg Nature Reserve
- Boesmanskloof Trail (also known as the Greyton-to-McGregor trail)
- 7 most memorable hikes in South Africa
- 8 great day trails (not that well known)
- Lazy man's hikes – where to walk off the wrath of the holidays
- Fun in the sun at Umgeni Valley
- Cecilia Waterfall from Kirstenbosch - a wonderful walk
- Hiking up Du Toitskloof in the Limietberg Nature Reserve - The Krom River hike
- Garden Route Day Walks – we select the best
- Peers Cave Hike
- Last chance for Crystal Pools hike
- Hiking Above Wellington – Happy Valley Trail in the Limietberg
- The Thomas T Tucker Shipwreck Trail in Cape Point
- Walking Silvermine – the Amphitheatre Route Around the Dam
- Safety In Hiking
- Hike to Muizenberg Cave
- The Darwin Trail – Retrace Darwin's Visit To The Cape
- Walking Table Mountain
- Three Awesome Hikes To Do When In The Cape
- Three Must-Do Hikes in Limpopo
- The Wild Coast Trail – escape like never before
- Newlands Forest Walk To The Base Of Newlands Ravine
- The Otter Trail
- Scaling Vlakkenberg – a hike in the heart of Cape Town's suburbs
- A Morning Hike Up Lions Head
- Hiking Trails in the Tsitsikamma
- Popular Walks and Hikes in Cape Town, South Africa
- Hiking In and Around Pretoria
- Hiking Mossel Bay
- Hiking Jonkershoek Tweede Waterval - a wonderful easy ramble, perfect for families
- Top 5 winter hiking trails in South Africa
- 5 best family hikes in South Africa
- Day Hikes of the Drakensberg
- Hike to Kettlespout Falls in Hogsback
- Coastal Hike in Coffee Bay
- Sentinel Peak Hike - Drakensberg
- Hiking up Table Mountain - The Platteklip Gorge Hike
- The Baviaanskloof Hartland Hike
- The Leopard's Kloof Trail and Other Magical Discoveries at Harold Porter Garden