Doing The Deed In Darling: Less than an hour away from Cape Town, amidst ancient trees, extensive farms and fields of wild flowers, lies the quaint town of Darling. This town, known for its somewhat eccentric characters, is the perfect combination of art, culture, natural beauty and good old South African heritage. Surrounded by rolling wheat fields and stretches of glorious vineyards, the picturesque appeal of Darling is undeniable.
Being situated so close to Cape Town, Darling is the perfect retreat, even for a day. However, there is so much to see and do here, that it may be best to spend a little longer in this West Coast haven.
Its prime location also makes Darling one of the best places to see the wild flowers that erupt into bloom every year.
For the best flower experiences, visit:
- Darling Renosterveld Reserve (behind the Darling Primary School)
- Darling Groenekloof Reserve (on the R315)
- Tienie Versfeld Reserve (on the R315)
- Contreberg (along the R307)
- Duckitt Nurseries Wildflower Reserve (on the R307)
- Waylands (on the R307)
In addition to the flowers, Darling has also gained international acclaim as the home of Evita se Perron. This is a theatre established by renowned satirist, political activist and comedian, Pieter Dirk-Uys, whose alter-ego (Evita Bezuidenhout) performs here on a regular basis. This is a restaurant as well as a cabaret venue, and diners can look forward to authentic South African cuisine to be enjoyed along with endless laughs.
While in Darling, the following activities and attractions are recommended:
- The arts and crafts market, which supports the local community on a charitable basis and has established a number of grassroots projects
- Bird Island Nature Reserve is home to an incredible Gannet population that remains the world’s most accessible. In addition, penguins, Cape Fur Seals and Cormorants can be found here
- The Darling Stagger is a 25-kilometre trail in the Cape West Coast Biosphere that takes two days to complete. It showcases some of the most delicious food and wine of the region
- For a fascinating look into how the wind is harnessed to generate power, visit the Darling Wind Farm
- There are a number of nature reserves and natural areas that are absolute musts for those that appreciate the outdoors. These include the Elandsfontein Private Reserve, Groot Winterhoek Wilderness Area, Grotto Bay Coastal Nature Reserve, Renosterveld Reserve, Rocherpan Nature Reserve, and Tienie Versveld Reserve
- The !Khwa ttu San Culture & Education Centre tells the story of the San people, from times long past to our modern day. The displays allow visitors to take a sneak peek into a people that once lived off the land and who had to undergo mammoth trials in the name of politics and colonialisation