There is a city… stories from the road by Ruan Smit
There’s a South African city that invites you in the moment you enter her atmosphere, she leads you into a space where a combination of beauty, calm, buzz and history makes you feel comfortable as if you have find home after a long holiday. This city is home to many people, people that come from different spheres of life. Some with ambitious dreams, some that seek inspiration from the love filled air, others come here to break away or to avoid a long cold winter.
This city provides a non judgmental landscape in which you can explore your ideas. She provides you with new ideas and helps you to collaborate with other ideas. Her mountains, sun, wind, rain, trees and buildings form a perfect whole where many find a safe haven underneath her sky.
When you wake up in the morning you navigate your way around her mountain and enjoy your coffee in her beautiful parks or next to her blue water beaches. Once feared of, this city has since become one of hope, a stop over, a place where one can replenish your soul before you carry on with the road.
There is no other city like this. Many have said that you have not traveled until you have set foot on this once unexplored Cape of Storms. And I firmly agree with this statement. Where else do you find a city that combines a world of culture, heritage and architecture and still manages to have its own distinct personality …
When you walk the infamous Long Street in town there is always another new person to meet or a smile to greet you. The beaches along Camps Bay and Clifton receive you with open arms on a summers’ day and provides the perfect setting for a first kiss after sunset. Parks like Kirstenbosch provide benches to hide from the summer sun and fill your lungs with hope of a new dawn.
With the architecture created by centuries of culture you can find new meanings to old concepts, you become a part of a unique history and a story telling itself through every narrative technique know to humanity. After dark one can become friends with a world of strangers, the peaceful nature of everyone entering Cape Town gives it a fantastic stage to communicate with every soul that breathes its sea filled air.
For the romantic there is the sound of waves and the moonlight atmosphere over a mystic mountain, adventurers can find unimaginable routes up Table Mountain or water sports in the False bay. Wine fanatics have a whole year worth of options in the area. There is truly something for every soul and need.
But Cape Town is ever more than its beautiful mountains, beaches and people. There is something that you cannot quite put your finger on. The best description is a feeling of being at home or one of coming back. Watch out for that feeling because like so many other Capetonians you might fall in love with this city and never leave its magic smile again.
If you have never been here, listen to that friend that has been nagging you, they are on to something. Hear the voices of those unable to escape the personality of this city. Find yourself in the whisper of the South Eastern wind as it speaks through the mountain and buildings. Listen to the sun when it provides the beaches of a golden glow, refresh your soul in the blue cold water that was once feared by many …
You are reading Explore South Africa Cycle Tour Series Read more from this series of articles.
- Collecting people's stories – Cycling 9000km in 70 days
- Scraps of Hope - Pre cycle-tour Free State visit
- Where is Ruan? Join us as we follow him on his "Explore SA" cycle tour
- A human wallflower - from the road, by Ruan Smit
- She’s no Barberton Daisy ...
- Rashid had R30 - Stories from Explore SA Cycle Tour
- Not another high tea - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Give a Soccer Ball ...
- A Gonubie affair - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Kenton on Sea inspires - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Say Cheese! - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Adin ‘The no money man’ - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- There is a city… stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- An Elands Bay Road trip - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Where love grows with flowers - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- A River of Life - Stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- And Douglas smiles - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Digging for Dreams in Kimberley - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Seeking the sun - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Pitching a tent - stories from the road by Ruan Smit
- Parys with a ‘Y’? - stories from the road by Ruan
- A different forest - stories from the road by Ruan
- For the love - Ruan makes it home