Famous South African Landscapes and what put them on the Map ~ South Africa is home to several destinations and attractions that are world-famous for different reasons – some of which may surprise you.
Here are just some of the unique places that have made their mark on the world map and what makes them famous:
- Cape Agulhas is between the Garden Route and Cape Town and is acclaimed as the southernmost tip of Africa and the meeting point of the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean. It’s also home to the second-oldest working lighthouse in the country. This coastline is wild and impressive – an unforgettable experience for the whole family.
- Soweto is a massive township in Johannesburg. Apart from its huge population and the rich variety of cultures within its borders, Soweto has also been the home of a number of prominent personalities. These include Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Trevor Noah, Cyril Ramaphosa, and Tokyo Sexwale. There are memorials and museums in this vibrant township that tell amazing stories about even more amazing people. Book a guided tour.
- Saldanha Bay is on the Cape West Coast and has the most fossils in Africa. This is a wonderland of natural variety, as well as a stunning spot for anyone who loves beaches and watersports. Some of the fossils include the giant otter, sabre-toothed cat, giant panda, and short-necked giraffe.
- The Drakensberg Mountains are exquisitely impressive and boast the most rock art on the African continent – left behind by indigenous tribes of hunter-gatherers. These tell the stories of their lives and customs and provide amazing insights into times past.
- The Vredefort Dome is a UNESCO World Heritage Site 120km from Johannesburg. It’s the largest and oldest meteor impact site on the planet, as well as the most deeply eroded. It’s over 300 km in diameter, and the surrounding area is popular for whitewater rafting and wildlife sightings.
- In the Karoo, the little town of Oudtshoorn is the proud home of the Cango Caves, which are estimated to be over 20 million years old. They are spectacular to see and the stalactites and stalagmites are enhanced with incredible lighting. They’re the biggest show cave system on the continent and are the oldest tourist attraction in South Africa.
This beautiful country is one of the world’s hottest tourist destinations because it has history, art, architecture, culture, natural wonders, wildlife, and world-class shopping. And it’s affordable.
Simply put, it has it all.
South Africa is undoubtedly a destination with so much to offer. To book your accommodation in South Africa near any of these fantastic, famous attractions (and so many more), visit SA-Venues.com now.